Translate

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Today I thought I'd share a tutorial on a really easy project that anyone can do.  Even kids!  Get yourselves an empty glass jar.  I used a pickle jar.  I have tons of them around since my son loves pickle juice.  Yes, the juice only.  I can't tell you all how many jars of pickles are in my fridge with no juice whatsoever in them. Weird right?

I like to get my decorative napkins at Tuesday Mornings.  Any napkins will do that have some type of design on them.  You can also use tissue paper.  Wash the jar out, and dry.  Cut out your designs.  If your using napkins, then most napkins have 2-3 layers of paper.  Separate these layers till just your design is left.  You can skip this step if you don't want your design to be more transparent.  Next, gather your Mod Podge, and a small paint brush and a cup of water.   Layer a thin application of Mod Podge on the inside of your pickle jar.  I do a small area at a time.  Then take your napkin and rip it into 1-2 inch size pieces.  Apply the napkin design to the inside of your jar with the decorative side facing out.  I then apply a  crumpled layer of tissue paper over the top of the napkin design.  This tissue paper is designed by Brave Girls Club.  You want to overlap the tissue paper.  Apply it anyway you want.  You can't make a mistake.  Just be careful to be gentle, you don't want to move your first layer of napkin around.



 

Continue to do this a small area at a time.  Makes sure you rinse your brush out as you go.  You don't want to end up with glue dried in your paintbrush.  You can use white tissue paper, or even colored tissue paper, over your napkin design.  Continue all the way around your jar.  Then allow your piece to dry.  I wait overnight just to make sure.  Then I check to see if I've missed any spots.  If not, all I do is drop in a battery operated tea light candle, and decorate the rim with ribbons.





That's all there is to it.  The ideas are endless with this project.  You could do one for your children with Disney characters, pirates, or whatever.  These make great night lights for children as it's a very faint glow.  I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial.  If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment